Donate to DRN Here!

New York Post Sandy

New York Post Sandy

Monday, March 14, 2011

Ayiti Cherie

Ayiti Cherie,

Today is our second day in Haiti and it has been an extremely humbling experience. I had the opportunity to visit the town of Hinche that I once lived in as a child. In my younger days I resided there with my grandmother. It is amazing to me how I transitioned from here, to poverty in the United States, to the military, to the one of the finest law schools in our country. Todays trip across the island of Haiti helped me further realize that I need to take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself. There are so many people that let chances pass them by, but I refuse to not capitalize on every opportunity that comes forth. I am sure that there is individuals on this island that wish they had the chances I had, so for them I will will continue to excel.

What stood out to me the most in todays trip was the interactions between the inspector a.k.a. warden of the prison, and the actual prisoners. They referred to him as “papa” acknowledging him as their paternal figure. It appeared that he treated them well. The prisoners spoke on how well they were treated given the circumstances. I thought it was funny how a cage filled past capacity with potential murderers acknowledged a soft spoken man as father. I assume that he treated them well; he showed us the pictures of how the prison looked prior to him taking command and how it was now, and there was a significant difference.

I wish Haiti the best and I look forward to what adventure awaits us tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment